Calendar and Resident Resources

(Event colors correspond to event type. Blue are events run by NCIEF. Green are run by other groups. Gold are run by the city or other large facilities. Red are deadlines or tests.)

Table of Contents

  • General Bulletins
  • Art Exhibits
  • Education Related
  • Consultation Services
  • General Reference for Life in Japan

—General Bulletins—

CrossPal Monthly Closure

CrossPal is not open the last Monday of the month. This month, CrossPal will be closed on Nov 26th.

PSA: How to Properly Dispose of Plastic Trash

When disposing of plastics (marked with the プラ mark shown to the left), be sure to follow a few key rules to make it easier for the people who sort the trash to do their job and makes sure the plastic can actually be recycled instead of thrown into the burnable trash.


  • DO NOT put a bag of plastic trash inside of another bag! (example above)
  • Make sure the trash is clean (no sauce, dirt, etc.)
  • Make sure that it has the above mark on it!
  • If you are not sure if you can recycle something as plastic trash, refer to the “Household Trash Sorting and Disposal Guide” that you receive upon moving to the city or the corresponding smartphone application.

Niigata Newspapers Available Online

Two sources where we get a lot of our PSAs and events are now available online for free. The city newspaper, Shihou Niigata, and each ward newspaper, Ku Dayori, can be accessed via Niigata City’s homepage (available in Japanese only).

Click the links above or search, in Japanese, the names of the paper you would like to check out and it should be the first result to come up.

PSA: Get Copies of Important Documents at Convenient Stores

Beginning March 1st this year, copies of important documents such as your juminhyo (certificate of residence) and proof of personal seal registration can be acquired at convenience stores.

The post linked here is a translation of the information found on the city’s homepage (link below). As far as I know, the process and information is only available in Japanese. This is simply a notice and for your reference.

PSA-Abnormal Behavior in Influenza Patients

Flu medication may cause abnormal behavior, especially in children, so watch them to make sure they don’t hurt themselves.
Abnormal behavior can be any sudden excitement or strange and erratic behavior such as:
・Jumping out of the window or the door
・Being overly excited suddenly
・Suddenly doing or saying things they normally wouldn’t

PSA: Avoiding the Norovirus

The Norovirus is a virus that can infect people of all ages and cause acute gastroenteritis. It is particularly common in the winter months. This virus is strong against the cold and the dry air and can live on surfaces for a long time. Even coming in contact with a tiny amount of the virus can get you sick.

Fever of 37–38°C, diarrhea, vomiting, muscle aches, and headache

How to Prevent:
Wash your hands thoroughly before eating and after using the bathroom; cook food such as shellfish completely-the virus is dies if it gets hotter than 85°C for at least a minute; practice food safety; If someone vomits, be sure to clean it carefully and thoroughly

Be aware that:
There are no effective antiviral medications to treat the norovirus—only the symptoms can be treated. People with weaker immune systems, such as infants and the elderly, are at risk of hydration if they get sick and may need to go to the hospital for IV fluids. Norovirus is not just spread through food, the virus can be found in large quantities in vomit and feces and therefore can be spread from person-to-person.

PSA: Stop the Spread of Enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC)

Enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) is a type of the E. coli bacteria that causes bleeding or inflammation in your digestive tract. It is easily spread through contaminated food or contact with feces.

Symptoms: Diarrhea, stomach pains, bloody stool

How to Prevent:
-Wash your hands thoroughly before cooking and eating and after using the bathroom
-Cook food such as shellfish completely-the virus is dies if it gets hotter than 75°C for at least a minute
-Practice food safety (ex. use tongs or chopsticks when handling raw meat)
-Wash towels and washcloths often
-Wash your hands thoroughly after touching animals

PSA: Staying Safe Bicycling

As the weather warms up, you will have more and more opportunities to get outside and ride your bicycle but there are 5 key rules that you should follow to stay safe while riding around. Many of the rules should sound familiar as they are typically the same as the rules you must follow when driving a car–bicycles might not seem like it but they too are a kind of vehicle and you should take care when riding.

  1. Generally speaking, bicycles should on the road and not the sidewalk
  2. Ride on the left side of the road
  3. When riding on the sidewalk, pedestrians get the right of way. Ride on the side closest to the road and make sure to leave plenty of room
  1. Follow the rules of the road
    • Use a headlight when it is dark out
    • No riding while intoxicated, with another person on your bicycle, or alongside another bicycle
    • Stop completely at red lights and stop signs–the same way you would in a car
    • Look both ways before crossing
  2. Make sure children wear their helmets

—Art Exhibits—


International Friendship Center Exchange Salon Exhibition

Photos from Cambodia
Sponsored by the Niigata → Cambodia Support Project 730. Through this exhibit they will introduce their activities.
Date: October 16th (Tue) – November 10th (Sat) 9:00–17:00

Photos from Southeast Asia
Sponsored by Keep Smile Japan, through this exhibit they will introduce their activities.
Date: November 13th (Tue) – November 24th (Sat) 9:00–17:00
Closed: Sundays, Holidays, and the 4th Mon. of every month
For more info: 025-225-2727(NCIEF)


—Education Related—

School Support for Non-Native Speakers (Elementary – High School)

Is your child struggling in school? The Nico Pal Club and R’s are two volunteer groups that provide educational support to non-native speakers attending Japanese schools. Tutoring and support is available at CrossPal Niigata every Saturday from 10:00 to 14:30. Contact NCIEF for more information.

Notice Regarding Enrollment in Municipal Elementary & Junior High School

The Niigata City Board of Education sent admission notices on January19th to children who will enroll in elementary or junior high school in April 2018. Please bring or send the notification to the designated school to enroll.

If you haven’t received the notification, please make a phone call to the Niigata City Board of Education School Affairs Division (Gakumu-ka).

For more info call: 025-226-3168

Consultation Services

Niigata Help Association  
TEL: 025-228-2212
Every Day: 9:00-23:00
Spanish, English, Korean, Tagalog, Thai, Chinese, etc.

Niigata International Association 
TEL: 025-241-1881
English: Thu 10:00~14:00  Thai: Tue 10:00-14:00
Chinese: 1st, 3rd, 5th Wed 10:00-14:00

Niigata Medical Care Information Network 
URL: Site available
in Japanese Only

Hello Work, Foreigner Advisory Service 
TEL: 025-280-8609
Address: No.2 Niigata-Misaki Government Building (1-2-1 Misaki-cho, Chuo-ku, Niigata-shi)
1st ~ 4th  Wed 13:30-16:00
English & Chinese

Niigata Prefectural Gyosei Shoshi (Administrative Clerk) Main Office Free Consultation for Foreign Nationals (Reservations Required)

  1. Niigata Prefectural Gyosei Shoshi Niigata Branch Office

Date:    November 18th (Sun) 11:00–15:00
Place:   Higashi Ward Plaza (Shimokido, Higashi Ward)
Contact: 070-1189-8555 (Ms. Aiba)

  1. Gyoseishoshi Association of Niigata

Date:    November 19th (Mon)       10:00–15:00
Place:   Tokyo Immigration Office Niigata Branch Niigata Airport Terminal Building
Contact: 025-255-5225 (Gyoseishoshi Association of Niigata)

Free Legal Consultation for Foreign Residents
Need legal advice? Typically about once every two months there will be an opportunity to visit with a lawyer and receive free consultation regarding legal matters. If you don’t speak Japanese, then an  interpreter will be provided for you.
Dates for this Fiscal Year: (Fri) Aug 24th, Oct 19th, Feb 15th (2019)
Times: 13:00~17:00
Place: CrossPal Niigata 2nd floor
Requirements: Must be non-Japanese resident living and working in Niigata
Language Support Available: English, Chinese, Korean, French, and Russian
Places Available: 5 (reservations required) Length of Consultation: 45 min/ person
Reservations: Please tell us your name, nationality, phone number, sex, and what you wish to discuss.
For more info/reservations: 025-225-2727 or email

Helpline for Foreigners  
TEL: 0120-279-338 Call the toll-free number and press 2 after the Japanese guidance

 TELL (Tokyo English Life Line Japan)
Provides free phone counseling between the hours of 9:00AM and 11:00PM.
Their website also provides a nationwide healthcare index and other useful information.
Life Line: 03-5774-0992

International Mental Health Professionals Japan (IMHPJ)
IMHPJ is an association that maintains a useful index of certified international mental health professionals.

—General Reference for Life in Japan—

Surviving in Japan (without much Japanese) – the unconventional how-to guide for living in Japan is an extensive blog and an excellent Japan resource. If you’re having trouble, or just want a reference, check out this site; you might be surprised what you find.

CLAIR provides a general guide to life in Japan, including information on visas, medical care, and more.